Report: Blue Jackets' Laine accepts 1-year qualifying offer
The qualifying offer is based on the player's previous salary. So while Laine's prior annual cap hit was $6.75 million, the total salary in 2020-21 was $7.5 million. His qualifying offer will be $7.5 million again next season.
The 23-year-old's first season in Columbus didn't go as expected. He recorded just 10 goals and 11 assists in 45 contests, the worst point-per-game mark of his career.
Laine was also benched for reportedly making a disrespectful comment toward then-assistant coach Brad Larsen. Larsen has since been promoted to head coach.
- Stan Bowman resigns as Blackhawks GM after sexual assault investigation
- Undefeated: Why these four teams are off to blazing-hot starts
- Report on Blackhawks' scandal reveals leaders' win-at-all-costs choices
- Report: Sabres ramp up Eichel trade talks with Golden Knights
- Mark Messier on leadership, Halloween parties, Cup journeys, and TV gig