Sharks' Kane benched in loss vs. Rangers
Evander Kane leads the San Jose Sharks with 21 goals, but that didn't stop interim head coach Bob Boughner from benching him for the entire third period during Saturday's 3-2 loss against the New York Rangers.
"I think there's a level, an expectation here, and a standard that we hold every player the same accountable to," Boughner said postgame, according to The Athletic's Kevin Kurz. "I just think that you have to be prepared and you have to be able to get out there and compete for your teammates. I didn't think he had any of that tonight. It doesn't matter who you are, we're going to make sure that we have that standard and that line for everybody."
Kane played 12:19 in the contest - the fourth-lowest total on the Sharks.
The 28-year-old signed a seven-year, $49-million contract in 2018.
- Report: Flyers prospect detained for planning to evade military service
- Canucks, Boeser agree to 3-year extension with $6.65M AAV
- Report: Jets finalizing deal to name Bowness head coach
- Canucks organization hires former NHL head coaches Colliton, Yeo
- Lightning sign Paul to 7-year extension with $3.15M AAV