Sens' Borowiecki: Matthews showing up Sabourin was 'disrespectful'
Ottawa Senators defenseman Mark Borowiecki wasn't very impressed with Auston Matthews' preseason antics.
"I thought it was a little bit disrespectful, to be honest," Borowiecki said on Tuesday, according to The Canadian Press' Lisa Wallace. "We're not all blessed with Auston Matthews' talent, unfortunately, but I truly wish I was. Some of us have to do it the hard way."
Sabourin, 27, has spent seven years in the American Hockey League and is slated to make his NHL debut this season after cracking the Senators' roster out of camp.
"I'm not sure Auston appreciates what it's like being a fighter down there, it's a role he never had to play," Borowiecki said. "It's really tough when you know you're going to fight double digits every year and ride the bus around and get paid $70,000."
The Leafs host the Senators in their season opener on Wednesday night, which will be the first of four meetings between the two division rivals this season.
- Ducks' Strome injures Jets' Connor with knee-on-knee hit
- Jackets' Gudbranson will have hearing for altercation with Cousins
- Pickard stands tall vs. Devils to help Oilers win 7th straight game
- Red Wings' Perron to have hearing for cross-checking Sens' Zub
- How the Broad Street Bullies saved the NHL's reputation in 1976