Capitals' Ovechkin makes history with 14th straight 30-goal season
Ovechkin notched his 30th goal of the season on Thursday, becoming just the second player in NHL history to begin their career with 14 consecutive 30-goal seasons, according to Capitals Public Relations. Fellow Caps legend Mike Gartner began his career with 15 straight 30-goal campaigns. Jaromir Jagr had a 15-year streak of 30 goals, but it was not to begin his career.
Here's a look at the goal, in which Ovechkin snipes from the opposite side of the ice we've become accustomed to seeing him bury.
Ovechkin's 30th came in just his 39th game this season, matching his lowest game total to 30 goals from 2007-08, when he potted a career-high 65, according to NHL.com's Tom Gulitti.
- Devils' Blackwood confirms he isn't vaccinated due to 'health concerns'
- Report: NHL investigating Evander Kane for potential COVID-19 protocol violation
- Kadri confident teammates trust him after playoff suspension
- Peel admits hot-mic incident was 'a tremendous error in judgement'
- Ranking the NHL's 8 best lines heading into this season