Tom Wilson's big payday leaves Twitter dumbfounded
Tom Wilson got paid on Friday, and Twitter users can't wrap their heads around it.
The imposing, physical, reckless forward received a six-year contract with an average annual value of $5.17 million, in the same neighborhood as the deals for recent restricted free-agent signees Jason Zucker, Elias Lindholm, Tomas Hertl, and J.T. Miller.
Wilson is coming off a career-high 35-point campaign - a low total for a forward making north of $5 million per year for the next six seasons. Of course, Twitter is up in arms.
Some people couldn't help but poke fun at Wilson's style of play, which has led to frequent run-ins with the NHL Department of Player Safety.
- Calder Trophy Rankings: Beniers rises to No. 1 as Zetterlund debuts
- Avalanche's MacKinnon suffers upper-body injury in loss to Flyers
- Flyers' Tortorella praises Hart: 'It's hard to be a goaltender with us'
- Golden Knights top Bruins in Cassidy's return, end Boston's home streak
- NHL Power Rankings: Each team's biggest surprise