Melnyk stunned by asking price for Colorado's Duchene
Call it sticker shock.
On Wednesday, Senators owner Eugene Melnyk commented on the trade speculation surrounding his club and its link to the Avalanche forward.
"Did you see what they want for Duchene and stuff? Oh my God," Melnyk told the Canadian Press. "It's going to be silly because there's so many competitive teams, especially in our conference. From bottom to top, even if I was at the bottom I'd still have hope."
The Senators hold down the second seed in the Atlantic but are just one point above the last wild card position, held by the Toronto Maple Leafs. Five Eastern teams are also within five points of the final spot.
The Senators are believed to be looking for an upgrade at forward prior to the March 1 trade deadline, but are cautious on the price to make an addition.
"I think it will be way too expensive and we're not going to jeopardize our future. Everyone wants our young stars and I don't blame them," Melnyk added. "I think we're going to be smart about it to build a long-term base and a long-term team, but we're urgently wanting to win of course."
- Vegas' Pacioretty week-to-week with fractured foot
- Leafs dress UofT goalie as backup due to cap constraints
- Three-peat*: The AHL team that sat out a season and returned as champs
- Ducks head coach Eakins blasts Jets for 'dirty play' on Gibson
- Red Wings' Larkin suspended 1 game for roughing Lightning's Joseph