Watch: Matthews' mom reacts to hat trick
Toronto Maple Leafs fans weren't the only ones crying tears of joy Wednesday night as Auston Matthews notched a hat trick in his NHL debut.
Count Auston's mother, Ema Matthews, among those celebrating, as she attended the game alongside Auston's father, Brian.
Matthews tallied three goals on three shots versus the Ottawa Senators, scoring the third just 1:25 into the second frame.
Matthews finished with four goals.
''Those were tears of joy,'' Ema said. ''I feel very excited. This is what Auston has been dreaming since he was 6, be playing right here in the NHL.''
Brian felt the same.
''I hope that nobody's going to wake me up here anytime soon,'' he said. ''This is unbelievable.''
- Brind'Amour roasts Canes' effort vs. Oilers: Top players 'gotta show up'
- Norris Trophy Rankings: It's a 2-horse race between Makar, Hughes
- Malkin laments ice-cold power play after loss to Bolts: 'We don't have confidence'
- Promising Stars prospect Logan Stankoven may be small, but all he does is score
- Kane to make Red Wings debut Thursday vs. Sharks