Jackson looking to prove to Chargers teammates he's still 'Mr. INT'
After a ruptured patellar tendon cut his rough debut season with the Los Angeles Chargers short, cornerback J.C. Jackson is aiming to prove why he earned such a big payday last year.
"I felt like (expletive). I haven't done anything (and) got hurt," the defensive back told USA Today's Tyler Dragon on Tuesday. "I just got paid. I still got to prove to my teammates and to myself that I'm still 'Mr. INT.' I didn't do (expletive) last year. I felt like (expletive), honestly. I didn't feel good."
Jackson hauled in 25 interceptions across 39 starts with the New England Patriots before signing a five-year, $82.5-million deal with the Chargers. However, the former undrafted free agent struggled with his new team before going down in Week 7. He continues to rehab at team facilities.
"Most of it is mental," Jackson said. "Every day is a challenge. ... You got to tell yourself every day that you want it. You want to be the best. I can do it. I'm gonna come back 110%. You got to have that confidence. If you don't have that confidence, you're not gonna do nothing in life.
"That's how I look at it. If you don't have confidence, you're not gonna succeed."
Jackson's exact return date remains unknown. He's scheduled to see Dr. Neal ElAttrache on June 19 for an updated timeline. However, head coach Brandon Staley said the defensive back is "progressing."
Jackson will look to rejoin a Chargers secondary that includes Asante Samuel Jr. and Derwin James, among others