Carr won't extend contract deadline to help facilitate trade
Las Vegas Raiders quarterback Derek Carr does not intend to push his contract deadline back from February 15, which is when $40.4 million of his current deal will be fully guaranteed over the next two years.
"I'm just looking for teams that have made that decision consistently, that they'll continually choose to do whatever it takes to put a winning program out there," Carr told ESPN's Stephen Holder at the Pro Bowl Games Thursday. "And so, for me, I just wanna win a championship."
Carr was abruptly benched for the final two games of the 2022 campaign and then excused from the team. The Raiders are expected to move on from Carr in 2023, but there hasn't been much conversation about an impending deal involving the veteran passer.
Carr also confirmed that Las Vegas has not permitted him to discuss a trade with other teams.
Raiders general manager Dave Ziegler said earlier in the day that it was just a matter of time before clubs begin inquiring about Carr.
"There's going to be people interested in Derek Carr," he said on SiriusXM NFL Radio. "There's no doubt about that. He's been a good football player in this league for quite some time. Like I said, he's a phenomenal human being, and we'll kind of see where it goes."
The Raiders' all-time passing leader struggled in his first season under head coach Josh McDaniels. He racked up 3,522 passing yards, 24 touchdowns, and 14 interceptions while posting the second-lowest QB rating (86.3) of his career in 15 games.
Carr, who turns 32 in March, signed a three-year, $121.5-milllion contract extension last April that contains a no-trade clause. The Raiders could part with their former starter via trade or release.