Report: Bucs' Wirfs to miss 3-4 weeks with ankle injury
Tampa Bay Buccaneers right tackle Tristan Wirfs is expected to be out for three-to-four weeks with an ankle injury he suffered in Sunday's overtime loss to the Cleveland Browns, a source told Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.
Wirfs was carted from the field and it initially appeared as though his injury could be season-ending, but his postgame X-rays were reportedly negative.
Based on the All-Pro's timeline, he should be able to return before the end of the regular season.
However, it's still a significant blow to the struggling Bucs, who sit atop the NFC South despite a disappointing 5-6 record.
The 5-7 Atlanta Falcons are a game behind Tampa Bay, while the Carolina Panthers and New Orleans Saints remain in contention for the division title despite 4-8 records.
Josh Wells will likely fill in at right tackle in Wirfs' absence.
- theScore's NFL monthly awards: Top players, teams, storylines, and more
- Rodgers defends Wilson, says starting rumor QB didn't want to play is 'chickenshit'
- Jaguars' Lawrence suffers high ankle sprain in OT loss to Bengals
- 49ers sign veteran DB Logan Ryan
- NFL Power Rankings - Week 14: Players who must step up down the stretch