Falcons' Smith: Tanking is 'the dumbest thing I've ever heard'
Atlanta Falcons head coach Arthur Smith is focused on winning now instead of wondering about the possibilities of the 2023 NFL Draft.
"This is a waste of your time and my time if you want to talk about '23," Smith said when asked about next year's draft class, according to Jeff Schultz of The Athletic.
"It's the dumbest thing I've ever heard - that a team would try to not win football games. If you don't, there's going to be consequences," he said.
He added that people who believe tanking is beneficial "have no idea" about team building.
Atlanta brought in Marcus Mariota and drafted Desmond Ridder to compete under center next season. It also picked Drake London and acquired Bryan Edwards in a trade with the Las Vegas Raiders to work alongside tight end Kyle Pitts.
The players arrive as the Falcons attempt to deal with a league-high $63 million in dead money, according to Over the Cap.
The Falcons finished third in the NFC South last season with a 7-10 record.
- Report: Watson's disciplinary hearing scheduled for Tuesday
- Eli hopeful Giants' new coaching staff will help Jones flourish
- Peyton: Ryan, Wilson 'will handle' high expectations with new teams
- Report: Kamara bracing for potential 6-game suspension
- Report: Watson's discipline case to be decided before training camp