Report: Payton yet to commit to Saints for '22, unlikely to coach another team
It's unlikely that Payton coaches a different club in 2022, Rapoport adds. However, if the 58-year-old temporarily steps away from football next season, he reportedly isn't expected to be back with New Orleans following that time off.
Payton apparently has also generated interest from at least one TV network for a broadcasting role.
Saints defensive coordinator Dennis Allen would be a top candidate to replace Payton if he leaves, according to Rapoport, citing sources. Allen, who's been with New Orleans since the 2015 season, reportedly has an interview with the Chicago Bears next week for their head coaching job.
Payton has been one of the NFL's top head coaches since joining the Saints in 2006. He was named Coach of the Year in his first campaign with the team, and New Orleans is 152-89 during the regular season with him on the sideline. Payton also helped the Saints win their first Super Bowl title in 2010.
New Orleans missed the playoffs this season after posting a 9-8 record. Injuries affected the Saints throughout the 2021 campaign, forcing the club to use four different starting quarterbacks.
- Robinson: Playing in Rams' offense will 'bring the best out of me'
- Jones: Giants declining 5th-year option 'out of my control'
- Fantasy Podcast: Offseason risers and fallers for every NFC team
- Ravens veteran punter Sam Koch retires after 16 seasons
- Minority GM, coach candidates invited to meet NFL owners