McCaffrey done for season after being placed on IR again
McCaffrey was spotted in a walking boot after Sunday's loss to the Miami Dolphins and a subsequent MRI revealed an injury severe enough to warrant putting him on IR again, which automatically ends a player's season.
The Pro Bowler missed most of the 2020 campaign due to multiple injuries after signing a four-year, $64-million contract that April.
McCaffrey hurt his hamstring in Week 3 of this season and missed the next five games while on IR. He returned in Week 9 and racked up 241 rushing yards, 180 receiving yards, and one touchdown catch over his next four appearances.
The loss of McCaffrey is a significant blow for the Panthers, who remain on the edge of playoff contention with a 5-7 record following back-to-back losses.
Chuba Hubbard should start in place of McCaffrey for the remainder of the year. The rookie has produced 427 rushing yards, 152 receiving yards, and three touchdowns this season.
- Jets' Wilson set for MRI after non-contact knee injury vs. Eagles
- Watson apologizes, then struggles in Browns preseason debut
- Lance's deep TD pass leads 49ers to preseason win over Packers
- Cousins tests positive, will miss Vikings' 1st preseason game
- More Black NFL retirees win dementia cases in rescored tests