Watson's attorney, Rusty Hardin, released a statement shortly after the report filing was announced.
"We welcome this long-overdue development. Now we will learn the identity of at least one accuser. We will fully cooperate with the Houston Police Department," Hardin said, according to NFL Network's Tom Pelissero.
This is the first known criminal report filed against Watson, who's facing 21 lawsuits alleging sexual assault and inappropriate behavior.
Attorney Tony Buzbee, who represents the 21 women suing Watson, said in a statement Friday he isn't involved in the criminal report filing process, according to Mark Berman of FOX 26. He also anticipates that more criminal complaints will follow, adding that the 22nd lawsuit against Watson was filed Friday.
Buzbee previously announced that his clients won't be submitting evidence of alleged criminal misconduct against Watson to the Houston Police Department.
The NFL also released a statement following the Houston Police Department's announcement.
"We are continuing to monitor all developments in the matter which remains under review of the personal conduct policy," the league said, according to Mark Maske of The Washington Post.
Hardin recently released a statement with quotes from 18 women who say they worked with Watson, and they're defending the signal-caller.