Twitter melts down after Pats land Newton, get punished for video scandal
Yes, Cam Newton.
The Patriots' reported blockbuster signing tore like wildfire through the football world on Sunday night, setting Twitter ablaze.
It was almost enough to obscure the fact that, mere moments after news of Newton's new home broke, we learned the NFL dropped the hammer on New England for improperly filming the Cincinnati Bengals' sideline in December 2019. The Patriots were fined $1.1 million and stripped of their 2021 third-round pick, among other indignities.
The double shot of Sunday night news sent social media into fits of disbelief, profane outbursts (many from fans of the other AFC East teams), and, of course, many jokes were told. Here are the best reactions to the dual bombshells:
- Steelers activate Watt from COVID list ahead of Ravens game
- Vikings' Griffen reveals he has bipolar disorder
- Bucs' Arians urges NFL to look at vaccination status of other teams
- This could be one wild offseason for NFL quarterback movement
- Report: Saints' Hill suffered finger injury, won't require surgery