NFL allows previously banned players to attend portions of combine
Ronald Martinez / Getty Images Sport / Getty

The NFL has tweaked a policy that will allow Louisiana Tech edge rusher Jaylon Ferguson, Mississippi State defensive tackle Jeffery Simmons, and Colorado State receiver Preston Williams to attend the combine, according to USA Today's Jarrett Bell.

They will be able to participate in medical evaluations and limited interviews at the combine, which kicks off Tuesday in Indianapolis. The trio are still prevented from on-field drills and testing.

"Rather than having up to 32 teams travel individually in these cases, this is actually to accommodate the clubs, to frankly get the most important information - the medical exam - in one place," NFL executive vice president of football operations Troy Vincent said.

Simmons, however, will not attend the combine due to an ACL tear during training, according to NFL.com's Tom Pelissero.

The three prospects were banned due to past arrests for violent offenses. A background check reportedly revealed that Ferguson, a projected first-round pick, was convicted of simple battery for his involvement in a fight at a McDonald's during his freshman year.

Ferguson's agent responded critically to the NFL when his players invitation was rescinded.

The NFL reportedly told teams in January that players found to have been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor involving violence would be banned from the combine.

Comments
NFL allows previously banned players to attend portions of combine
  Got something to say? Leave a comment below!
Daily Newsletter
Get the latest trending sports news daily in your inbox