Machado on getting beaned by Papelbon: 'It's coward stuff'
The Washington Nationals and Baltimore Orioles' rivalry excelled Wednesday.
Nationals closer Jonathan Papelbon was ejected for beaning Orioles superstar Manny Machado with a high-inside fastball - that came close to hitting his head - in the top of the ninth inning, which forced the benches to clear.
Machado was decidedly unhappy with the incident and spoke about it postgame.
"I'm not worried about getting hit ... That's just bulls---. It's coward stuff. It's just cowardly." he told reporters.
The Orioles' third baseman said he was "expecting" to be hit by a pitch and was prepared to take it "like a champ," but wasn't pleased it was so close to his head.
The hit-by-pitch was in response to Machado's two-run go-ahead and eventual game-winning home run in the seventh inning.
Nationals MVP candidate Bryce Harper responded to Papelbon's ejection by calling it "tired," and told reporters he wouldn't be surprised if there is retaliation when the squads meet Thursday.
"I'll probably get drilled tomorrow."
(Videos courtesy: MLB.com)
- LeBron back in lineup after 13-game absence, will come off bench vs. Bulls
- Saleh: Rodgers' interest in joining Jets 'shows how far we've come'
- Canadiens sign Harvard standout Sean Farrell to 3-year, entry-level deal
- Kings' Lizotte to have hearing for cross-checking Morrissey's face
- Ranking top 5 lineups: Padres' new Murderers' Row the toast of baseball