Machado on getting beaned by Papelbon: 'It's coward stuff'
Nationals closer Jonathan Papelbon was ejected for beaning Orioles superstar Manny Machado with a high-inside fastball - that came close to hitting his head - in the top of the ninth inning, which forced the benches to clear.
Machado was decidedly unhappy with the incident and spoke about it postgame.
"I'm not worried about getting hit ... That's just bulls---. It's coward stuff. It's just cowardly." he told reporters.
The hit-by-pitch was in response to Machado's two-run go-ahead and eventual game-winning home run in the seventh inning.
Nationals MVP candidate Bryce Harper responded to Papelbon's ejection by calling it "tired," and told reporters he wouldn't be surprised if there is retaliation when the squads meet Thursday.
"I'll probably get drilled tomorrow."
(Videos courtesy: MLB.com)
- Report: Dodgers open roster spot for Ohtani by trading 2 players to Yankees
- Running backs star in best bets for rare 2-game MNF slate
- Eagles' Cox: 'It's time to see the real leadership'
- 2024 NHL mock draft: Celebrini, Eiserman lead initial projections
- Jerry lauds Dak's big-game abilities after Eagles win