VIDEO: Andrea Pirlo makes New York City FC debut against Orlando City
Fans had been chanting for Pirlo throughout the match, and those demands got louder after New York conceded a goal to Cyle Larin.
Pirlo slotted in at central midfield and made his presence felt immediately, whipping crosses onto the left for new teammate David Villa to pick up.
Pirlo came in and Larin added a second goal, but the Italian midfielder made him pay, dropping the Canadian forward with a strong first touch and a turn. He then set up New York's next two goals with his signature passing vision.
Pirlo will soon be joined by Frank Lampard in New York's midfield; the Chelsea icon is battling a calf injury that has him ruled out of the MLS All-Star Game.
- Mayfield leads incredible comeback to stun Raiders in Rams debut
- Mets' projected payroll soars past $300M after latest spending spree
- Marner continues record run as Leafs blank Kings for 2nd straight shutout
- Maple Leafs' Robertson to miss significant time with shoulder injury
- Adebayo, Butler lift Heat past Kawhi-less Clippers