Report: Chelsea withdraw interest in United wantaway Ronaldo
After bringing Sterling in from Manchester City for a reported £50-million fee on Wednesday, the Blues are prioritizing reinforcements in defense. Napoli's Kalidou Koulibaly is expected to move to Stamford Bridge for €40 million, and the club is apparently pursuing City's Nathan Ake and Paris Saint-Germain's Presnel Kimpembe.
Ronaldo, 37, asked to leave Manchester United due to his disappointment in the club's apparently unambitious summer transfer dealings. New Chelsea co-owner Todd Boehly was reportedly interested in the prospect of signing the Portuguese superstar following a meeting with his agent Jorge Mendes, but he's since withdrawn the club's interest after talks with Tuchel.
Ronaldo has cited family reasons for his continued absence from United's training sessions and friendlies ahead of the new season. It's understood he lowered his wage demands after top European clubs appeared wary to table a bid for his services.
Ronaldo has reportedly received a lucrative offer from an unnamed Saudi Arabian club worth €275 million in wages over two seasons. The Saudi outfit is also willing to pay United €30 million to sign him, but Ronaldo is expected to reject the approach as he wants to play for a team competing in the Champions League.
United are set to play in the Europa League in the 2022-23 campaign.
- Panthers' Burns lauds interim coach Tabor: Can tell he's about business
- Hill? Watt? Bland? Why this could be the year to crown an unusual NFL MVP
- Examining the Penguins' struggling power play, and other unexpected NHL trends
- Durant moves into 10th on NBA's all-time scoring list in loss to Nuggets
- Tatum ejected as Celtics edge shorthanded 76ers