Scheifele to have hearing for charging Evans
The hearing isn't in-person, meaning he can face a maximum suspension of only five games. Scheifele has never been suspended in his career.
The Jets pivot lined up Evans from across the ice as he buried an empty-netter with less than a minute remaining in the contest. Evans was stretchered off the ice.
Scheifele was handed a charging major and game misconduct.
Habs defenseman Joel Edmundson took issue with the hit.
"It was a dirty hit, but the league's going to take care of it," he told reporters postgame, according to TSN's John Lu. "If (Scheifele) gets back in the series, we're going to make his life miserable."
Jesperi Kotkaniemi also defended his teammate.
"It's disgusting. Little respect for the players out there," Kotkaniemi said. "Just seeing (Evans) moving (on the stretcher) after a thing like that was huge."
Evans had movement in his arms as he left the ice.
Montreal held on for the 5-3 win.
- NBA weekend best bets: Can Kings halt red-hot Curry, Warriors?
- Letang added to COVID-19 protocol, out vs. Maple Leafs
- Dodgers turn to Buehler in Game 6 with season on line vs. Braves
- 76ers' Harris defends Simmons: 'He's a human first'
- Oilers become NHL's 1st unbeaten team through 5 games to start 2021-22