Ovechkin avoids suspension for spearing Frederic in groin
Washington Capitals sniper Alex Ovechkin was fined $5,000 - the maximum allowable under the CBA - for spearing Boston Bruins forward Trent Frederic in the groin Wednesday, the NHL Department of Player Safety announced.
The two players received minor penalties on the play: Frederic for crosschecking and Ovechkin for slashing.
Ovechkin and Frederic nearly got into a fight earlier in the game.
Ovechkin's fine is the equivalent of $26.21 for someone who earns $50,000 a year, notes The Athletic's Mark Lazerus.
- Fantasy Podcast: 15 new injuries that will impact your playoff chances
- Report: 4-5 teams showing strong interest in Rays' Glasnow
- Gloria Allred representing family involved with Josh Giddey case
- Roberts confirms Betts will be Dodgers' everyday 2B in 2024
- Report: Jets leaning toward starting Wilson again, but he's reluctant