Report: Stafford told Lions not to trade him to Patriots
The Patriots were reportedly one of the many clubs interested in securing Stafford's services, but the Los Angeles Rams closed a deal for the passer Saturday, sending two first-round picks, a third-round pick, and Jared Goff.
Stafford has some familiarity with the New England organization. The Patriots brought back Matt Patricia - Stafford's former coach in Detroit - to assist the coaching staff.
New England is coming off a disappointing 2020 campaign, missing the playoffs for the first time since 2008 after losing Tom Brady in free agency.
The Patriots also struggled mightily on offense, finishing 27th in points scored. Cam Newton struggled to regain his prior form and is not expected to return to the team next season. The former MVP passer was signed to a one-year contract last offseason but threw more interceptions (10) than touchdowns (8).
- Redrafting the entire NFL, Part 3: Teams seek value as rosters are finalized
- Timely bunt rallies Japan past DR in 9th in Olympic opener
- Team USA bounces back, trounces Iran in men's basketball
- Reds acquire Cessa, Wilson from Yankees for PTBNL
- Mariners acquire Anderson from Pirates after Phillies trade falls through