Blue Jays bring back Ray on 1-year deal reportedly worth $8M
The free agent's contract is worth $8 million, reports Jeff Passan of ESPN.
Ray's new pact also includes awards bonuses, according to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic.
The former All-Star posted a combined 6.62 ERA between the Arizona Diamondbacks and Blue Jays in 2020. The 29-year-old accrued a 4.79 ERA over 20 2/3 innings with Toronto after a trade-deadline deal.
Ray owns a career 11.1 K/9 across seven seasons in the majors.
The move could be the first of many for the Blue Jays this offseason. Team president Mark Shapiro said in October the club expects to be active through the winter and won't be restricted by tight budgets.
Toronto is reportedly planning to be aggressive on the open market and has already reached out to multiple marquee free agents.
- 49ers take down Giants to extend regular-season win streak to 13
- Report: Rays calling up top prospect Caminero for playoff push
- Mets guaranteed losing season after Castellanos' big game for Phillies
- Giants' Barkley says he has high ankle sprain
- Cole enhances Cy Young chances in dominant win over Blue Jays