Report: Redskins expected to retire nickname Monday
A new nickname won't be announced immediately, as trademark issues are still pending, Fischer adds.
Washington announced it began a "thorough review" of the team's name on July 3 after major corporate sponsors - including Nike and FedEx, which owns the naming rights to the franchise's stadium - threatened to cut ties with the organization.
Earlier this week, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Washington isn't planning to use Native American imagery in its new name.
Head coach Ron Rivera recently said it "would be awesome" if the team changed its name before the 2020 season.
Washington has used the Redskins moniker since 1933.
- Silas blasts Rockets' defensive effort: 'They're not getting after it'
- Best moments from Super Bowl LVII Opening Night
- Kelce vs. Kelce: Jason knows 'ultimate bragging rights' over Travis on the line
- Mahomes still motivated by Super Bowl LV loss to Bucs
- Clippers surge late, overcome Thomas' career-high 47 to top Nets