Report: Redskins don't plan to use Native American imagery in new name
The franchise announced a "thorough review" of the nickname last week after multiple sponsors, investors, and shareholders threatened to cut ties if it wasn't changed.
"This process allows the team to take into account not only the proud tradition and history of the franchise, but also input from our alumni, the organization, sponsors, the National Football League, and the local community it is proud to represent on and off the field," owner Dan Snyder said in a statement.
Among the sponsors that asked for a name change are FedEx, which owns the naming rights to the team's stadium, and Nike, the team's uniforms and equipment supplier. Nike recently removed all of the team's gear from its website.
- Silas blasts Rockets' defensive effort: 'They're not getting after it'
- Best moments from Super Bowl LVII Opening Night
- Kelce vs. Kelce: Jason knows 'ultimate bragging rights' over Travis on the line
- Mahomes still motivated by Super Bowl LV loss to Bucs
- Clippers surge late, overcome Thomas' career-high 47 to top Nets