Broncos select C Lloyd Cushenberry III in 3rd round
The Denver Broncos selected center Lloyd Cushenberry III out of LSU in the third round of the 2020 NFL Draft, No. 83 overall.
Denver continues investing in interior blockers and was in the market for a center in the draft. The Broncos drafted left guard Dalton Risner in the second round last year and signed Graham Glasgow to potentially start at right guard in 2020.
Weight: 312 lbs
- Thick frame with upper- and lower-body strength
- Elite anchor - will not lose to bull rush
- Long arms allow him to easily lock in defenders
- Understands run lanes and how to be first to his gap
- Very good hand placement and powerful punch
- Surprisingly fluid hips fire off stance to open lanes for rushers
- Heavy feet make him awkward and inconsistent in space
- Subpar recovery skills in pass protection
- Had trouble versus explosive interior defenders who were able to get to his outside edge
- Can overset and lunge in the run game
- Pass-blocking footwork needs polish
Cushenberry meets the eye test for nearly every NFL team, possessing ideal length, anchor, and strength for the position. The LSU standout will outmuscle even the largest nose tackles and pairs his powerful frame with high football IQ. That's not to say there aren't lapses in his game. Cushenberry's footwork in pass protection must improve in order for him to develop into a starting center. Explosive rushers were able to get around him too often in college. If a good offensive line coach gets his hands on Cushenberry, he can turn his raw tools into consistent production.