Broncos draft another WR, add KJ Hamler in 2nd round
The Denver Broncos selected wide receiver KJ Hamler out of Penn State in the second round of the 2020 NFL Draft, No. 46 overall.
Hamler is the second pass-catcher drafted by Denver in this class. John Elway and Co. added Jerry Jeudy in the first round Thursday. The duo rounds out a young, talented receiving corps for sophomore quarterback Drew Lock.
The former Nittany Lion is an undersized prospect but possesses elite deep speed and has the ability to stretch the field. He was named to the All-Big Ten second team after catching eight touchdowns a season ago.
School: Penn State
Weight: 178 lbs
- Game-breaking speed among the best in his class
- Elite burst/explosion off the line of scrimmage - cornerbacks are in trouble when playing off coverage
- Crisp, shifty route-runner who's able to sink his hips and change his direction effortlessly without losing speed
- Can make defenders miss after the catch
- Able to separate in a variety of ways, whether it's through speed, technique, or finding open zones
- Legitimate NFL deep threat
- Stacks cornerbacks well at the top of the route
- Size and strength are well below average
- Had one of the worst drop rates in the class in 2019
- Won't win with physicality or on contested catches
- Ball-tracking skills need some work
- Can be re-routed by contact
When watching Penn State games last season, it wasn't difficult to figure out where Hamler was on the field. It's not just because of his small stature, he'll catch anyone's eye with his incredible explosion and quickness in his routes. The speedy wideout doesn't come without red flags - most notably his worrisome drop rate - but he profiles as an exciting offensive weapon who most NFL teams will covet. Whether it's in the slot, on screens, or as a deep playmaker, Hamler is a great Day 2 target for a team that misses out on Henry Ruggs or Jalen Reagor. The former Nittany Lion may never be a high-volume option in the passing game, but he offers big-play potential on every down.