Stroman, Tillman to start in AL wild-card game
Toronto Blue Jays right-hander Marcus Stroman will start against the Baltimore Orioles in the American League wild-card game at Rogers Centre on Tuesday, general manager Ross Atkins told MLB Network Radio.
Toronto's choice for a wild-card starter came down to either Stroman or Francisco Liriano, and Atkins said the team elected to go with the 25-year-old right-hander due to his impressive performances late last season after returning from a torn ACL.
Blue Jays manager John Gibbons echoed his general manager's assessment, adding that the decision wasn't so simple.
"It wasn't easy. I think Stro's the perfect guy," Gibbons told reporters. "He got it done for us last year."
Stroman posted a 4.37 ERA in 32 starts this season, though he crafted a 4.17 ERA in three starts in last year's postseason.
Tillman has been one of the Orioles' most reliable pitchers in 2015, finishing with a team-best 16-6 record and a 3.77 ERA.
- Flyers score twice in 3rd to hand Oilers 1st loss of season
- Westbrook chides Bazley for dunk: 'Certain things you just don't do'
- Toews, Kane 'wish they could have done something differently' to help Beach
- Another postseason dud for Fried when Braves need him most
- Siri propels Astros past Braves in Game 2 to tie World Series