Canucks sign Minnesota State D-man Hirose to entry-level deal
The Vancouver Canucks have signed NCAA free-agent defenseman Akito Hirose to a one-year, entry-level contract, the team announced.
Hirose is coming off a stellar three-year run at Minnesota State University (Mankato). He tallied four goals and 23 assists in 38 games for the Mavericks this past season.
"His skating ability is absolutely NHL-quality and he thinks the game at a high level," prospect analyst Chris Peters wrote. "Those two factors give him a chance to be a solid depth defenseman down the line."
A native of Calgary, Alberta, Hirose is 23 years old, shoots left, and is listed at 6-feet and 170 pounds. His brother, Taro, has played 58 NHL games with the Detroit Red Wings.
- Report: Dame expressed interest in Bucks, Nets prior to deal; Raps came close
- Saints' Kamara: 'It feels good to be back' after 3-game suspension
- Watch: Francona gets 2 curtain calls ahead of his likely final home game
- Jerry Jones: Cowboys' red-zone issues 'not a long-range concern'
- Fantasy Podcast: Early-season trends, rookie outlooks, trade targets