Duke hires Penn State DC Diaz as head coach
Duke hired Penn State defensive coordinator Manny Diaz as its next head coach, the school announced Thursday.
Diaz will replace Mike Elko after the latter left Duke for the head coaching job at Texas A&M earlier in December. Elko posted a 16-9 record over two seasons with the Blue Devils. He was named ACC Coach of the Year for his 9-4 campaign in 2022.
Diaz has spent the last two years as defensive coordinator of the Nittany Lions, with his unit ranking third in the nation in points allowed per game (11.4) in 2023 and 10th in 2022 (18.2).
Despite spending most of his coaching career focused on the defensive side of the ball, he has prior head coaching experience as well. He was the sideline boss for Miami for three seasons from 2019-21, compiling a 21-15 record.
Duke ended the 2023 regular season with a mark of 7-5. The program posted winning records in each of the last two years following a three-year run of sub-.500 seasons.
- Manziel avoiding Heisman event to support Bush
- NCAA rules committee suggests changes similar to NFL games
- NCAA pausing investigations into 3rd-party NIL deals
- Iowa State gambling case prosecutor files motion to dismiss remaining charges
- Pac-12 commissioner-elect weighing options for Oregon State, Washington State