Georgia Southern fires Lunsford
The Eagles fell to 1-3 on the season with a loss to Louisiana on Saturday.
Lunsford, 44, leaves Georgia Southern with a 28-21 record in the midst of his fourth campaign with the program. The team hired him as the interim coach during the 2017 season.
Prior to Saturday's defeat, the Eagles were on the wrong side of blowout losses to Florida Atlantic and Arkansas.
The Eagles have made three consecutive bowl appearances since hiring Lunsford in a full-time capacity. They beat Louisiana Tech in a 38-3 rout to win the New Orleans Bowl in 2020.
Georgia Southern becomes the third FBS program with a head coaching vacancy, joining USC and Connecticut.
Cornerbacks coach Kevin Whitley will serve as the Eagles' interim head coach for the remainder of the season.
- College Football Playoff expansion talks inch forward
- LSU's Kelly: I had 'no plan' to look for new job entering the season
- CFP Rankings: Michigan replaces Ohio State in top 4
- CFP chair: Kelly's departure impacted Notre Dame's ranking
- 5-star QB Nelson follows Riley to USC after decommitting from Oklahoma