Report: Big 12 in talks to add up to 6 Pac-12 schools, merger possible
The Big 12 is in deep discussions to add multiple Pac-12 schools following the impending departures of USC and UCLA, sources told CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd.
A merger between the Big 12 and Pac-12 is reportedly also a possibility.
However, Colorado released a statement shortly after Dodd's report, assuring the school remains committed to the Pac-12, according to Brandon Marcello of 247Sports.
The Big Ten welcomed USC and UCLA as its newest members last month. Both schools are expected to join their new conference in 2024. In the wake of their departures, the Pac-12 announced its intentions to explore expansion options.
The Big 12 has been aggressive in its search for new members after Texas and Oklahoma shared their intentions on joining the SEC. The pair are expected to leave the league after the 2024 season.
Cincinnati, BYU, Houston, and UCF are set to join the Big 12 in 2023.
Meanwhile, the Pac-12's board of directors announced Tuesday that the conference will begin negotiations for its next media rights agreements immediately. The conference's deal with Fox and ESPN is set to expire in 2024.
- Commissioner Warren: 'I could see' Big Ten expanding to 20 teams, paying athletes
- Big Ten signs 7-year media deal with CBS, Fox, NBC for reported $7B
- NCAA asks members for help with NIL violation investigations
- LeBron dismisses Bronny to Oregon rumors
- Pete Carril, old-school Princeton coaching maestro, dies