Illinois picks up top Baylor transfer Matthew Mayer
Mayer tested the NBA draft waters before deciding to spend one more year in college. He chose the Fighting Illini over North Carolina, Memphis, and Texas Tech.
The 6-foot-9 forward was a big part of Baylor's national championship-winning squad in 2021 and earned a starting role last season.
Known as a microwave scorer with the size to play strong defense, Mayer averaged nine points, 4.4 rebounds, and 1.2 steals over his final two seasons in Waco, Texas, after playing sparingly as a freshman and sophomore.
Mayer will join fellow top transfer Terrence Shannon Jr. and touted freshman commit Skyy Clark on Brad Underwood's team.
- Kentucky, Gonzaga agree to home-and-home series over next 2 seasons
- No. 2 prospect in 2023 class Kwame Evans commits to Oregon
- Senators Tuberville, Manchin working on bill to tackle NIL
- Top-10 recruit Xavier Booker commits to Michigan State
- Report: Former Florida star Johnson looking for new team 2 years after collapse