Hernangomez brothers lead Spain to EuroBasket championship vs. France
Spain returns to EuroBasket glory after finishing with a bronze medal in the last edition in 2017. Two years prior, the Spaniards defeated Lithuania for EuroBasket gold.
New York Knicks wing Evan Fournier led France with 23 points on 7-of-14 shooting (4-of-8 on 3-pointers). Meanwhile, new Minnesota Timberwolves center Rudy Gobert complemented six points with six rebounds, two blocks, and an assist for Les Bleus.
Despite being defeated in the final, Gobert earned a spot on the EuroBasket All-Star 5, joining Greece's Giannis Antetokounmpo, Spain's Willy Hernangomez and Lorenzo Brown, and Germany guard Dennis Schroder as the best quintet throughout the competition.
Spain was not considered favorites at the tournament's onset, with Serbia, Slovenia, Greece, and even France among nations considered more likely to win. However, Sergio Scariolo's side's victory continues an impressive international run following its FIBA World Cup conquest in 2019.
- Refs confirm missed foul call for LeBron at end of regulation vs. Celtics
- Crowning The King: Chronicling LeBron's path to Kareem's scoring record
- Report: Pelicans' Murphy invited to Slam Dunk Contest
- Turner agrees to 2-year, $60M extension with Pacers
- Leonard scores 32, Clippers beat Hawks for 5th straight win