Barnes didn't accept 2017 ring from Warriors: 'I got a free ride'
Barnes and Stephen Jackson were joined on a recent episode of Showtime's "All The Smoke" by Hall of Famer Tracy McGrady, who said he wouldn't have been able to accept his ring with the San Antonio Spurs if they defeated the Miami Heat in the 2013 NBA Finals.
"I got a free ride," Barnes said. "I got a free ring. So that's (why) when they say, 'NBA champ,' I don't count myself as an NBA champ for the exact same reason you said. The journey is what makes you want to say, 'Yeah, I helped.'"
Barnes said he never accepted the ring from 2017 and left it with Warriors senior vice president of communications Raymond Ridder.
Barnes played for nine different teams across 14 seasons in his career. He signed with the Warriors in March 2017 when Kevin Durant was out with an MCL sprain.
- Report: Bulls, Vucevic have mutual interest in contract extension
- Draymond, Kuzma say Austin Reaves should keep 'Hillbilly Kobe' nickname
- Lowry tried to get Vince Carter back to the Raptors
- Rich Paul: LeBron had 'productive' extension talks with Lakers
- Shumpert arrested at Texas airport for cannabis possession