Report: Heat trading Whiteside to Blazers for Harkless, Leonard
Portland gets a center to compensate for the absence of Jusuf Nurkic, who is shelved indefinitely after suffering compound fractures to his left tibia and fibula in March. The 30-year-old Whiteside averaged 14.1 points, 11.9 rebounds, and 2.4 blocks per game over his five seasons in Miami. He is set to earn $27 million in the final year of his current contract.
Harkless, 26, is also on an expiring contract which is valued at $11 million. He averaged 7.7 points and 3.8 rebounds in 23.6 minutes per game last season.
Leonard, who was the Trail Blazers' longest-tenured player along with fellow 2012 lottery pick Damian Lillard, has been largely unable to establish himself as a major contributor. Through seven seasons, the former No. 11 selection has averaged 5.6 points and 3.7 rebounds in 15.5 minutes per game - though he has shot 38.5 percent on 3-pointers for his career. He'll earn $11.3 million in the final year of his contract.
The Heat find themselves immersed in trade talks as they attempt to navigate a tricky salary situation to land four-time All-Star Jimmy Butler in a sign-and-trade deal with the Philadelphia 76ers.
- Nets owner Tsai backs coach, GM amid reported Durant standoff
- Report: Sexton, Cavs remain at standstill on new contract
- Murray, Banchero feud on social media after testy pro-am game
- Draymond, Kuzma say Austin Reaves should keep 'Hillbilly Kobe' nickname
- Report: Bulls, Vucevic have mutual interest in contract extension