Report: Magic intensify efforts to deal impending UFA Serge Ibaka
Magic general manager Rob Hennigan declared his intentions to retain Ibaka long term last week, but a report from Sean Deveney of the Sporting News suggests that the team is hoping to move Ibaka before he leaves in free agency.
A source says the Magic want a young player and a pick, or perhaps even two picks, to wrestle away Ibaka.
The Toronto Raptors were interested in Ibaka last summer near the time of the draft, but they balked at the asking price from the Oklahoma City Thunder. Instead it was the Magic who ponied up for the 27-year-old, but that deal has not translated to any significant difference in the standings for the floundering Magic.
Ibaka is averaging 14.9 points, 6.8 rebounds, and 1.6 blocks while shooting 38.2 percent from deep.
- Clippers surge late, overcome Thomas' career-high 47 to top Nets
- Silas blasts Rockets' defensive effort: 'They're not getting after it'
- LeBron: I'm 'disappointed' Lakers didn't trade for Kyrie
- Trading for Kyrie is a gamble the Mavs couldn't afford not to make
- NBA Rookie of the Year rankings: Banchero rolling as All-Star break nears