Report: 'Shogun' Rua to fight Potieria at UFC 283
Mauricio "Shogun" Rua is expected to take on Ihor Potieria at UFC 283 on Jan. 21 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, sources told Damon Martin of MMA Fighting.
Rua (27-13-1) fell to Oliver St. Preux by split decision in his most recent outing at UFC 274 in May. The Brazilian fighter is on a two-fight losing skid, with his last victory coming via split decision over Antonio Rogerio Nogueira in July 2020.
The former light heavyweight champion could be preparing for his final bout in the Octagon after declaring ahead of his match in May that he planned on competing two more times before retiring.
Potieria (18-3) is set to compete in his second UFC bout after appearing on "Dana White's Contender Series." The Ukrainian fighter suffered a second-round TKO to Nicolae Negumereanu at UFC 277 in July.
The 205-pound matchup would join the card featuring the fourth fight between rivals Deiveson Figueiredo and Brandon Moreno for the flyweight title.
- Pimblett accepts Jake Paul's $1M sparring challenge under condition
- USADA: McGregor likely requires 6 months in testing pool before return
- Pacheco stuns undefeated Harrison to take PFL title, $1M prize
- Pereira fought Adesanya with torn ligaments in finger
- Prochazka vacates title; Blachowicz to fight Ankalaev for gold at UFC 282