Mayweather: McGregor rematch in works for 2023
Floyd Mayweather Jr. is planning to face UFC star Conor McGregor again next year, he told Charlotte Daly of the Daily Mail.
Mayweather said the nature of the bout is still being discussed.
"We don't know if it's going to be an exhibition or a real fight. But there's been talks of both. I would prefer an exhibition."
However, McGregor poured cold water on a potential Mayweather rematch with an Instragram post Wednesday:
Mayweather and McGregor last fought in 2017 in what ended up being the former's last professional boxing match. Mayweather won via a 10th-round TKO to improve to 50-0-0. He collected $275 million while McGregor received $85 million for the fight.
The 45-year-old Mayweather will face Mikuru Asakura on Sept. 25 in Japan, in what'll be his fourth exhibition boxing fight since retiring. He'll then fight YouTuber Deji in another exhibition bout Nov. 13 in Dubai.
McGregor's last fight was a defeat to Dustin Poirier at UFC 264 on July 10, 2021.
- Tsarukyan KOs Dariush 64 seconds into UFC Austin main event
- Perry beats Alvarez by corner stoppage in BKFC 56 main event
- White reacts to PFL's acquisition of Bellator: 'Sounds like a f-----g winner'
- Turner blasts Green with 1st-round KO in short-notice bout
- Figueiredo handily beats Font in bantamweight debut