Ray submits Pettis at PFL 5 to set up playoff rematch
Stevie Ray scored an upset victory over Anthony Pettis with a surprise second-round submission at PFL 5.
Pettis was in control for most of the contest before being forced to submit.
The result earned Ray a PFL playoff berth and ensured both competitors will meet for a rematch in the postseason. Pettis, who had already qualified, will enter as the No. 1 seed in the lightweight bracket, while Ray will come in as the fourth-ranked seed.
Pettis' playoff appearance will be his first in the PFL after he missed the mark last year. The former UFC lightweight champion has now lost three of his four bouts in the PFL, with his lone win coming against Myles Price earlier this year.
The other semifinal contest in the PFL lightweight bracket will see Olivier Aubin-Mercier versus Alexander Martinez. The semifinal bouts are set for Aug. 5.
- Mayweather: McGregor rematch in works for 2023
- Former UFC champion Aldo retires from MMA
- Sandhagen finishes Song with doctor's stoppage in UFC main event
- Derrick Lewis vs. Serghei Spivac to headline Nov. 19 Fight Night event
- 'I f*cked up': Bobby Green reveals failed drug test led to UFC 276 bout cancelation against Jim Miller