Report: Brunson-Kelly targeted for UFC Auckland
The UFC is working to add an intriguing middleweight matchup to its upcoming New Zealand show.
A bout between ninth-ranked Derek Brunson and Australia's Dan Kelly is being targeted for UFC Fight Night 110 - scheduled for June 11 at Auckland's Vector Arena - FloCombat's Hunter Homistek reports.
The 33-year-old Brunson will look to snap a two-fight skid that followed a run of four first-round knockouts. After Robert Whittaker handed him an identical fate in the main event of UFC Fight Night 101 last November, Brunson was given the short end of a controversial decision opposite Anderson Silva at UFC 208 last month. His promotional record currently stands at 7-3.
Kelly, 39, has repeatedly defied expectations and gotten the better of each of his last four opponents en route to a 6-1 record in the UFC. The four-time Olympian in judo was last seen spoiling Rashad Evans' divisional debut at UFC 209 by split decision.
A heavyweight tilt between sluggers Derrick Lewis and New Zealander Mark Hunt is reportedly in the works to headline the June event.
- Adesanya says he had 'off night' vs. Cannonier: 'I still f----- him up'
- Adesanya cruises past Cannonier to keep UFC middleweight belt
- Volkanovski shuts out Holloway to retain UFC featherweight title
- Munhoz suffered corneal abrasion in no-contest vs. O'Malley
- Jones prefers fight with Miocic over '1-dimensional' Ngannou