Machado on getting beaned by Papelbon: 'It's coward stuff'
The Washington Nationals and Baltimore Orioles' rivalry excelled Wednesday.
Nationals closer Jonathan Papelbon was ejected for beaning Orioles superstar Manny Machado with a high-inside fastball - that came close to hitting his head - in the top of the ninth inning, which forced the benches to clear.
Machado was decidedly unhappy with the incident and spoke about it postgame.
"I'm not worried about getting hit ... That's just bulls---. It's coward stuff. It's just cowardly." he told reporters.
The Orioles' third baseman said he was "expecting" to be hit by a pitch and was prepared to take it "like a champ," but wasn't pleased it was so close to his head.
The hit-by-pitch was in response to Machado's two-run go-ahead and eventual game-winning home run in the seventh inning.
Nationals MVP candidate Bryce Harper responded to Papelbon's ejection by calling it "tired," and told reporters he wouldn't be surprised if there is retaliation when the squads meet Thursday.
"I'll probably get drilled tomorrow."
(Videos courtesy: MLB.com)
- Pirates hand Mets 7th straight defeat, worst losing streak since 2019
- Paredes has 2 HRs, Glasnow gets 1st win in 2 years as Rays beat Rangers
- Mets' Alonso likely out 3-4 weeks with left wrist injury
- Blue Jays DFA Bass amid anti-LGBTQ controversy
- MLB MVP Rankings: Historic starts for contenders highlight 2 close races