Machado on getting beaned by Papelbon: 'It's coward stuff'
Nationals closer Jonathan Papelbon was ejected for beaning Orioles superstar Manny Machado with a high-inside fastball - that came close to hitting his head - in the top of the ninth inning, which forced the benches to clear.
Machado was decidedly unhappy with the incident and spoke about it postgame.
"I'm not worried about getting hit ... That's just bulls---. It's coward stuff. It's just cowardly." he told reporters.
The hit-by-pitch was in response to Machado's two-run go-ahead and eventual game-winning home run in the seventh inning.
Nationals MVP candidate Bryce Harper responded to Papelbon's ejection by calling it "tired," and told reporters he wouldn't be surprised if there is retaliation when the squads meet Thursday.
"I'll probably get drilled tomorrow."
(Videos courtesy: MLB.com)
- Acuña posts first 40-homer, 60-stolen base season in MLB history
- Twins win 3rd AL Central title in 5 years, will host wild-card series
- Brewers' Tellez records last 3 outs in blowout to clinch playoff spot
- Rays' Brandon Lowe out 4-6 weeks with knee fracture; Jason Adam has oblique discomfort
- Freeman chases history, Rays' real estate choice, and 7 more observations