Reds' De La Cruz: 'I am the fastest man in the world'
Cincinnati Reds rookie sensation Elly De La Cruz is feeling pretty confident about his abilities after just five games in the majors.
"I am the fastest man in the world," De La Cruz said Saturday after an 8-4 win over the St. Louis Cardinals, according to C. Trent Rosecrans of The Athletic.
De La Cruz's speed was a factor against the Cardinals. He scored from first base in the seventh inning on a two-run double by Spencer Steer:
The 21-year-old also recorded the second steal of his career in the fifth:
De La Cruz is in the 100th percentile for MLB sprint speed since his promotion last Tuesday, according to Baseball Savant.
- Yankees acquire Soto from Padres in 7-player blockbuster
- Report: D-Backs, Eduardo Rodriguez agree to 4-year, $80M deal
- Orioles, Kimbrel agree to 1-year deal reportedly worth $13M
- A's select Yankees' Spence with 1st pick of Rule 5 Draft
- Unicorn chase brings Blue Jays' front office into the deep end of the pool