Reds paying Griffey over $3.5M in 2023, 4th-highest salary on team
Retired MLB legend and Hall of Famer Ken Griffey Jr. is one of the highest-paid members of the Cincinnati Reds this season.
Griffey, who hasn't played for the Reds since 2008 and hung up his cleats in 2010, is set to earn over $3.5 million from the team due to deferred salaries from a nine-year, $112.5-million deal he signed in February 2000, according to Spotrac.
Only Joey Votto ($25 million), Mike Moustakas ($22 million, now plays for the Colorado Rockies), and Wil Myers ($6 million) will earn more than Griffey.
Cincinnati's 40-man payroll for 2023 is just over $101.7 million. Only the Oakland Athletics, Pittsburgh Pirates, and Baltimore Orioles have a lower total.
- Pirates hurt Reds' wild-card chances with historic win after trailing by 9 runs
- Kershaw beats Giants, overtakes Drysdale for 2nd in Dodgers wins
- Bregman laments 'terrible' play as Astros lose again to Royals
- Rangers get 7 scoreless innings from Montgomery in big win over Mariners
- Means flirts with no-no in 3rd start back after Tommy John, O's beat Guardians