Report: Red Sox agree to 2-year, $17.5M deal with Chris Martin
The deal is pending a physical.
Martin was impressive for the Los Angeles Dodgers last season after they acquired him from the Chicago Cubs at the trade deadline. The 36-year-old authored a 1.46 ERA and 12.4 K/9 in 24 2/3 innings for Los Angeles.
The Texas native has seven years of big-league experience, spending time with the Cubs, Dodgers, Atlanta Braves, Texas Rangers, Colorado Rockies, and New York Yankees. He also pitched in Japan.
Martin is the second reliever the Red Sox have signed this offseason. Boston inked left-hander Joely Rodriguez to a one-year deal in November.
Boston's bullpen ranked 14th in ERA and WAR last season among AL teams, according to FanGraphs.
- Preller wants to retain Machado beyond opt-out: 'It's more Manny's decision'
- MLB composite top 100 prospect rankings, takeaways
- Yankees' King: Astros can't 'stop us when we're rolling'
- Report: Mets signed Kodai Senga despite questionable physical
- 20 years of free agency: The more it changes, the more it stays the same