Report: Rays have talked with deGrom's representatives
A surprising team has joined the Jacob deGrom sweepstakes.
This marks the second consecutive offseason where the Rays have been linked to a high-profile free agent after their dalliance with Freddie Freeman last year.
The Rays offered Freeman a $150-million contract that contained no deferrals, per Martino.
Tampa Bay currently has a projected rotation of Shane McClanahan, Tyler Glasnow, Drew Rasmussen, Jeffrey Springs, and Yonny Chirinos.
The New York Mets, New York Yankees, and Texas Rangers have also been in contact with deGrom's camp.
DeGrom, 34, made just 11 starts for the Mets amid injuries in 2022. The veteran hurler posted a 5-4 record with a 3.08 ERA and 2.13 FIP. He also racked up 14.27 K/9 across 64 1/3 innings.
- Report: Ohtani likely to make free-agent decision within next week
- Report: Padres, Giants, Yankees among teams vying for Korean star Lee
- Report: Brewers, Chourio agree to 8-year, $82M pact that can rise to $142.5M
- theScore's 50 favorite moments of 2023: Mahomes, miracles, and a fiery escape
- Report: Blue Jays, Mariners interested in Rays' Paredes