Report: Red Sox already had multiple meetings with Bogaerts

Billie Weiss/Boston Red Sox / Getty Images Sport / Getty

It appears the Boston Red Sox aren't wasting any time attempting to retain Xander Bogaerts.

Red Sox executives, including owner John W. Henry and chairman Tom Werner, have already met with the All-Star shortstop to try to negotiate a new deal, sources told Sean McAdam of Boston Sports Journal. The sides have reportedly had several meetings over the last week.

Bogaerts, who earned his fourth career All-Star nod this summer, is widely expected to opt out of his contract and test free agency. He can officially do so once the playoffs end.

Red Sox chief baseball officer Chaim Bloom said Thursday that retaining Bogaerts is the team's top offseason priority.

"That process is going to start right away from our end," Bloom said, according to Alex Speier of The Boston Globe. "We haven't found that path yet. We still want to. We're going to work really hard at it."

Bogaerts has been a key player for Boston over the last 10 seasons, winning four Silver Sluggers while helping the team earn five playoff berths and two World Series titles.

The 30-year-old enjoyed a career year this season, hitting .307/.377/.456 with 15 home runs and 73 RBIs. He finished third in the American League in batting average and ranked top-10 in a slew of other offensive categories.

Bogaerts isn't the only big name who could depart this offseason, as outfielder/designated hitter J.D. Martinez is also a pending free agent.

Additionally, third baseman Rafael Devers is about to enter his final season before free agency. Though he's still without a long-term deal, Bloom said the team "would like to" negotiate with him as well, according to Speier.

The Red Sox went 78-84 this season, their worst record in a 162-game campaign since 2015.

Comments
Report: Red Sox already had multiple meetings with Bogaerts
  Got something to say? Leave a comment below!

Daily Newsletter

Get the latest trending sports news daily in your inbox