Royals fire Matheny after 97-loss season
The Kansas City Royals parted ways with manager Mike Matheny, the club announced Wednesday.
Pitching coach Cal Eldred will also not return in 2023.
Matheny, who had his 2023 option picked up in March, led the Royals to a disappointing 97-loss campaign in a weak American League Central division.
The 52-year-old skipper posted a 165-218 record with Kansas City over three seasons after joining the club prior to the pandemic-shortened 2020 campaign.
Matheny was once viewed as one of the best up-and-coming managers in baseball following 591 wins over seven years with the St. Louis Cardinals, which included a trip to the 2013 World Series.
The Royals also fired longtime president of baseball operations Dayton Moore in late September.
- Yankees acquire Soto from Padres in 7-player blockbuster
- Judge looking forward to 'couple more' moves from Yankees after Soto trade
- Padres' Preller: Trading a player of Soto's caliber was 'very difficult'
- Report: Angels discussed trade for Blue Jays' Manoah, didn't gain traction
- Report: D-Backs, Eduardo Rodriguez agree to 4-year, $80M deal