Blue Jays coach Martinez suspended 5 games for making contact with ump
Toronto Blue Jays hitting coach Guillermo Martinez was suspended five games and fined an undisclosed amount for making contact with umpire Doug Eddings during the lineup-card exchange before Wednesday's game with the Chicago White Sox.
Eddings was behind home plate during Tuesday's game between the Blue Jays and White Sox. Both clubs took issue with his strike zone and spent various points of the game barking at the veteran umpire.
Martinez has been with the Blue Jays organization since 2012. He was promoted to his current role of hitting coach before the 2019 campaign, and he's helped Toronto develop into one of the best offensive clubs in baseball over the past two seasons.
- Hader's struggles continue in latest meltdown vs. Nationals
- Josh Naylor talks hockey, return from gruesome injury, and his new swing
- Boone: Yankees 'should be ticked off' after shutout loss to Blue Jays
- Astros' Alvarez transported to hospital after feeling ill on field
- McKenzie strikes out career-high 14 as Guardians rally to beat White Sox