Report: Yankees not on Scherzer's list of trade destinations
The Yankees inquired about the three-time Cy Young Award winner but aren't on Scherzer's list of teams he'd accept a trade to, according to MLB Network's Jon Heyman.
Scherzer holds 10-and-5 rights, allowing him to veto a trade to any given team.
New York's starting rotation ranks seventh in FIP and ninth in ERA. The Bronx Bombers are nine games back of the Boston Red Sox for the AL East lead entering Wednesday's action.
Scherzer, the top pitcher available prior to Friday's trade deadline, reportedly prefers to play for a West Coast club if he's dealt, with the Los Angeles Dodgers, San Francisco Giants, and San Diego Padres among the favorites.
The 37-year-old is in the midst of another stellar campaign. He owns a 7-4 record with a 2.83 ERA and 142 strikeouts in 105 innings.
- Orioles stun Yankees in extras after late comeback
- The Brewer Way: How Milwaukee became a World Series contender
- La Russa: Ohtani plunking unintentional, umps 'made a mistake'
- Ohtani to miss next start, Angels hoping he'll pitch again in 2021
- Cohen: Former Marlins exec is anonymous source speaking out against Mets